As my 25th birthday approaches, I’ve decided to compile a list of 25 things to acknowledge to avoid having a quarter life crisis.
- Do you. Nobody else has the chance to, so own it
- Travel. Any.Chance.You.Get. I will never regret spending every last disposable penny I have on adventures around the world.
- Love your friends. I have some of the best ones.
- Mischief. As long as it’s not [super] illegal, break the rules sometimes. It makes for good stories.
- Life is a beautiful struggle. Struggle is everywhere, but those struggles build you and define who you are. I choose to see it as a beautiful thing.
- Be nice. There is no excuse not to be, and the world is a small town.
- Create. Don’t care if you’re not creative, exercise that part of your brain in some way or another whatever chance you get.
- Change is constant. Plus ça change, plus ça reste la même. Whatever language you want to say it in, you better be able to adapt.
- Don’t judge people. Everyone is fighting a battle, yada yada yada, but seriously just because it doesn’t work for you or look appealing to you doesn’t mean it’s not working perfectly perfect for them.
- Volunteer. Find something you’re passionate about and give back. Not everyone has had the same resources given to them as you, so share what you can
- Love. Your family, your friends, your person, your life. Feel love.
- Perfectly imperfect moments. Learn to love the imperfections.
- Get your grammar on. You can be the smartest person in the room, but you start mixing up they’re there their and you look like a dumbass
- Be Classy. Or at least be conscious of trying to be classy.
- Work Hard. Duh. It will get you places.
- Get Lucky. However you want to interpret that, luck is necessary.
- Be Spontaneous. Some of the best nights and trips I’ve had involved me making a last minute decision. Don’t be afraid to say yes.
- Don’t be afraid of the rain. Literally and figuratively.
- Laugh. Surround yourself with people who make you laugh, and laugh at yourself too.
- Embarrassing Moments. Happen way too often to be embarrassing anymore. Just roll with it.
- Manage your finances. Laughing at how low your bank account is is only funny for so long.
- Appreciate. Everything.
- Don’t learn how to fold a fitted sheet. It’s just not worth it. And who cares
- Hide. Under your desk, at the grocery store, inside your house. Sometimes you just need to not see somebody/anybody.
- Be happy. It’s a choice.
And one more for good luck…
26. HAVE FUN. Having fun is fun. And no one looks stupid when they’re having fun.
Cheers to 25.